I am a storyteller and a writer,
Most Canadian writers earn very modest incomes. Some writers try and get by on less than minimum wage. Some people say that's our choice. And it is. But creating is our calling, our vocation.
Just like anyone else, creators need income to survive. Our incomes depend not just on sales. We also depend on income we receive when universities, colleges, schools, corporations and governments make copies of my works for their own use, instead of buying more copies of the original.
Copyright exists to protect creators. When others use our works, copyright law should ensure the people who worked so hard to produce them are compensated.
Check out the following URL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qrcNksj5DE
Please ensure the voices of Canada's creators and publishers are heard.
Please work with your colleagues to see that C-32 is amended so that without hardship to consumers, creators suffer no hardship either.
Legislative Committee Members
· Gordon Brown, Chair, email@example.com
· Charlie Angus firstname.lastname@example.org
· Pablo Rodriguez email@example.com
· Mike Lake firstname.lastname@example.org
· Dan McTeague email@example.com
· Serge Cardin, firstname.lastname@example.org
· Ed Faste, email@example.com
· Sylvie Boucher, firstname.lastname@example.org
· Dean Del Mastro email@example.com
· Peter Braid, firstname.lastname@example.org
· Carole Lavallée email@example.com
· Marc Garneau firstname.lastname@example.org